Week four.  Otherwise known as the week of excuses.

This week kicked my butt. On Monday (which was supposed to be Day #1 of my week-four run), I had a dentist appointment in the afternoon.  So, I left work early, took the bus to my dentist’s office, got my mouth scraped for an hour, and then took the bus, sea bus, and train home. I was literally on transit for four hours.

By the time I walked in the door, I was exhausted. I wanted nothing else than to change into my pyjamas and veg out for the rest of the evening. The last thing I wanted to do was go for a run.

But, I grabbed myself a quick dinner (thank-you Sunday Amanda for making delicious homemade mac & cheese), and hung out on the couch with Olivia for a little bit. Then my super-awesome hubby gave her a bath and put her to bed while I lounged around for a little bit. It gave me exactly what I needed to get the motivation to run.  And I did.

Again, this is how I know that running is going to “stick” more than anything else before. I enjoy it. Even when there are a million excuses why I shouldn’t do it, I always find myself just pushing out the excuses to make it happen.

Before, I would always use excuses as reasons not to work out. Now, I don’t even really think about it. I just do it.

Another reason I was hesitant to run this week is because I was NOT confident that I could complete this week’s runs. Mainly because week four of the program is three days of the following run pattern:

Jog for 3 minutes, walk for 90 seconds, jog for 5 minutes, walk for 2.5 minutes, jog for 3 minutes, walk for 90 seconds, and then jog for 5 minutes.

Jog for 5 minutes?! Are you kidding me?! Last week’s three-minute stretches nearly killed me.  How in the world am I going to be able to last five minutes?!

But, just like the previous weeks, I decided to try the five-minute stretches, and come up with a new plan if I couldn’t do it.

Day #1:

I felt good as soon as I started running. I was still really nervous about the two five-minute stretches ahead of me, but I was just trying to focus on taking it one step at a time (literally).  The three-minute jogs were easy, and the first five-minute jog was actually ok. The second five-minute jog was a little harder, but I DID IT!!!

I came home so insanely proud of myself. Not only because I was able to run for five minutes, without stopping, TWICE, but because I didn’t let a long, horrible, exhausting day stop me from something that I enjoy. Heck yes!

Day #2:

I wasn’t really looking forward to this run either. I felt like crap, I had a horrible headache, and I just wanted to veg out (again). But, I laced up my shoes and hit the trail like a big girl. Also, killed it again.

Day #3:

After taking Thursday off for a football game, and Friday off for a wine and card game evening with Trevor, I knew that I had no choice but to complete my third run on Saturday (my weeks go Sunday – Saturday). After spending all day at my in-law’s house while Trevor helped them with some home renos, I was tired and just wanted to come home, eat dinner, and crash.  But, we walked in the door, and I immediately changed into my running gear and headed out the door while Trevor fed, bathed, and put Olivia to bed.

By the point, I was confident that I could complete the running with no problem. And I did. And it felt awesome. I’m actually looking forward to next week’s runs!